In the US, Thanksgiving is the biggest eating holiday of the year. And still, our kids want to eat on the way to dinner or in the days before while we’re traveling to Grandma’s or wherever you spend your holidays.
1. Pretzels. I personally love cheese doodles, but I never eat them in the car. Too messy. Pretzels are simple, fat-free, and easy to brush off when you get out of the car.
2. Bottle of water. The heat in the car can be very drying. Be prepared for complaints.
3. M&Ms. The candy that melts in your mouth, and not in your hands. (TM) Small, easy to carry, not messy if you don’t let them melt, and honestly, who does?
4. Twizzlers. A punch of sugar without the sticky fingers.
5. Popcorn. Also not messy, easy to brush off and clean up, but be sure to remember that bottle of water!
The observance of this day was actually yesterday as determined by the United Nations, but I think that it’s important enough, especially in this era of #metoo and the Trump Administration’s corruption that I think it’s important to bring up before and after the determined day. We need to address the violence against women every day, and it needs to be talked about by everyone, whether we’re women, are involved with women, and any other arbitrary excuse that we should care about violence against women.
Congress first passed the Violence Against Women Act in 1994, and each time it comes up for reauthorization, primarily Republicans argue against it because of the NRA or somehow they think that women aren’t deserving of protection from violence and abuse. Is there any other legitimate reason/argument that they could have?
Here are some helpful and informative links for you to read at your convenience, but please read them, and talk about them with your family and friends.
National Domestic Violence Hotline (VAWA)