A large part of the Supernatural story is what it takes to be a hunter. It isn’t just killing monsters, eating cheeseburgers, and drinking beer although that seems to be a large part of it.
There’s research to be done, weapons and tools to be made, and a set of skills to learn, both in the “downtime” and on the job.
Here is my list of fifteen skills/Hunter’s Lore that Sam and Dean have picked up along the way, beginning with one of the most important ones –
- Hunter’s Journal, where the hunters keep their notes and references as well as contacts with other hunters, etc. Over the years as technology advanced, many of the functions of the Hunter’s Journal were supplemented by library research, laptop and/or tablet and online search engines. As Sam would say, “So, get this…”
- Anti-possession Symbol – as a charm to wear or a tattoo as the Winchesters have.
- Salt. Salt lines, salt circles. Keeps the ghosts at bay.
- Salt and burn the bones. Kills the ghosts and vengeful spirits.
- Iron. Gets rid of the ghosts.
- Lock picks and lock picking tools.
- Devil’s Trap
- Silver knives, letter openers. These can be used on shifters and werewolves.
- Head shots are used for vampires, ghouls, and others.
- Exorcizamus Te – the Demon expelling spell
- The Colt – kills nearly everything (unfortunately, not Lucifer)
- Angel Blade
- Archangel Blade
- Witch Killing Bullets
- Demon Knife (from Ruby)
What have I left out?