Covid Vaccine Update – Second Dose


To read the previous posts on my covid vaccine experience, links are here:

One Dose Down

Covid Vaccine Update

And without further ado, here it is, the post you’ve all been waiting for – ha, ha! I got my second dose of the covid vaccine on Tuesday, three days ago, and I am now able to describe the side effects I experienced.

Three caveats before I share:

1. It’s a little TMI as most medical posts are wont to be.

2. Side effects will vary from person to person and from vaccine to vaccine. You may have these or other side effects not listed or you may have none. I’ve have friends and acquaintances offer both experiences. They can also be mild or severe. YMMV. I would characterize mine as a bit more than mild. Nothing was incapacitating, but I could not do my normal daily routine. If I didn’t already had my physical scheduled for Wednesday, I woudn’t have left my bed. That may have also extended the length of my side effects simply because I didn’t give my body the liquids and rest it needed on that first day after the shot.

3. Side effects will go away. Most of us won’t even notice them. I’m a whiner and a share-er. Don’t let someone’s side effects stop you from getting the vaccine. We’re almost through this and we can get through it together.

We’ll call Tuesday, Day 0, or Pfizer Pfun Day

I was less nervous and more excited. In two weeks, I’ll be fully immunized! It feels great!

I got the shot just before noon and my shot arm hurt briefly with the injection. That wasn’t the case with the first shot. My left arm also hurt, but just a general pain that did not last. They kept me for fifteen minutes, which is standard and I felt fine.

Went home, ate lunch, napped in a chair the rest of the day.

I was a little lightheaded and had a slight headache. I listened to a couple of podcasts and read my book. I was also well enough to go out to dinner with my family.

At bedtime, I read my book as usual, took my regular medicine, and went to bed.

Wednesday, Day 1 after shot

I had to get up at 7:30 for my doctor’s appointment about an hour away. I wish I could have rescheduled it.

I was a little nauseous, but I had no problems driving. I was mostly feeling off, a little tired, and the beginning of a headache, but nothing serious.

At the appointment and throughout the day, I had a slight headache and I was lightheaded whenever I bent over (like to tie shoes or pick up something). After that, I had lunch, ran one errand, and went home and straight to bed. This was about 2 in the afternoon.

My arm was very sore, and there was no bruising or swelling; just pain. I had all over body aches. I couldn’t concentrate on anything, and I was foggy all day but didn’t realize it until I was clear again in the evening.

I had a fever of about 100 degrees off and on rest of day. I took Tylenol and slept as best I could. Without the fever, I was very hot – I opened the window and set up a fan in my bedroom doorway.

I wanted to read but couldn’t focus or concentrate on it at all.

I threw up after dinner, but that may have been a gag reflex rather than a side effect.

I alternated between hot and cold all night with chills and aches. Halfway through the night I had to close the window and add a blanket – I think the weight more than the warmth helped me sleep.

Thursday, Day2

I woke up achy and with a headache. I took my medicine and Tylenol and went back to sleep. I had a fever (but it was less than 100 degrees) and it was off and on throughout the day.

I took Tylenol again at night before bed.

During the day, I played a game app and scrolled Twitter on Kindle. I couldn’t concentrate on anything more substantial despite wanting to read.

I had occasional sharp pain in joints – they’d come on suddenly and then would be gone.

I was very gassy.

The only thing I ate all day was a few crackers, a frozen waffle with nothing on it, 3 slices of cheese, and a bowl of soup plus some water.

I woke up in the middle of the night soaked from night sweats but I wasn’t hot. I was able to read two chapters in my book though, so Victory.

I wanted to type this post up but couldn’t get the mental place to be sitting up that long.

I started to have ringing in my ears, which I have but not this loud. My skin seemed very sensitive but no rashes or hives or anything like that.

The shot arm still hurts a lot and I can’t sleep on that side.

I spent all of the day in bed, napping or Twittering. I thought about watching a movie but just didn’t feel like it – I wouldn’t call it lethargy but may be mild lethargy.

Friday, Day 3 – Today

I woke up this morning feeling much better. Clear head.

My ears are still ringing – they always ring but it’s much more pronounced and it’s affecting my hearing – this sometimes happens when I get a cold, but I have no other symptoms of a cold so it may be related to the vaccine. I just don’t know.

My head hurts slightly but not enough to take Tylenol, and it seems to be getting better on its own. I’m tired, but not as much as the last couple of days. Coughing hurts across my back since yesterday.

I was well enough to bring our car to mechanic, pick up lunch for the family and return home to computer – hey, here I am!

I still feel achy across my shoulders as I type this and my shot arm still hurts. Definitely a lot more and for longer than with the first shot.

See #3 above.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s