I’m sure our house isn’t very different from other families. We have our own idiosyncrasies and short hand for expressing ourselves. For me, my go-to for commentary is almost always one of three places: Seinfeld, Supernatural, and Hamilton. Even my kids, who have never seen Seinfeld, are familiar with several of the pop culture vernacular: yada, yada, yada. not that there’s anything wrong with that. Newman. TWIIIIIX. Low talkers, close talkers, anti-dentites, big salads, baby eating dingoes, and why we don’t lick envelopes.
When I’m told to take a break, I will invariably start singing, “let’s go upstate.”
My name is…is followed either by Alexander Hamilton or Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.
Supernatural is one of those wonderful shows where the actors love to go to work. It’s evident, and after twelve completed seasons, they often harken back to previous seasons and episodes and call out fanon, continuity, plot holes, and just plain fun call backs. For fans who love the meta, and I am one of them, it is a laugh, a private moment between actor and fan, an inside joke. My sister just binged and completed the series, and she’ll make a comment to me, and I’ll smile because I know something she doesn’t, mainly because I’m on tumblr and read many of the convention accounts, and participate in the Supernatural family and social media.
Here are a few of those out-of-context quotes that might or might not make sense to you, but for the SPN family, trust me, they are hilarious. In no particular order:
1. Bitch. Jerk.
2. We’ve got work to do.
4. My “people” skills are “rusty”.
5. …and I’m something called a Jared Padalecki.
6. You married fake Ruby?!
8. Hello, King of the Crossroads.
9. On my car, he showed up naked and covered in bees.
10. Hello, boys.
14. Why’d you send him out there? I didn’t think you’d want him in here. I don’t. I’ve got a body in the basement. See? I’ve also got one buried out in the yard.
15. Writing is hard.
16. Family don’t end in blood.
17. Yesterday was Tuesday, but today’s Tuesday too.
18. Lucifer, you’re my brother, and I love you, but you are a great big bag of dicks.
19. You are not the broken shell of a man I once thought you to be.
20. Dad’s gone on a hunting trip.
21. Turns out you stand too close to an exploding dick it sends your ass straight to purgatory.
22. Too soon? Yeah, Dean, I’d say six seconds is too soon.
23. My silence is your cue, Frank.
24. You built a panic room? I had a weekend free.
25. Do I look like a ditchable prom date to you?
26. Bobby Singer, paranoid bastard, nice to meet you.
27. You don’t shoot Bambi. You shoot Bambi’s mother.
28. Menage a – what’s French for twelve?
29. I don’t think G-d is on any flatbread.
30. It’s funnier in Enochian.